The Technical Writer is responsible for documenting and maintaining high-quality procedures for our online user reference manual. The technical writer interacts with subject matter experts in all divisions of the organization to identify procedural inconsistencies and inefficiencies both intra- and interdepartmentally.
- Write consistent, concise, easy-to-understand, plain language procedures intended for new hire audiences.
- Create desktop procedures consistent with and resulting from regulatory, compliance, and legal changes.
- Work with business unit contacts to ensure such updates are made within compliant timeframes.
- Gather, assess and confirm interpretation of new and/or changing business practices.
- Maintain open communication with departmental contacts to monitor the effectiveness of existing desktop procedure documentation and to ensure the Corporate Training Team is kept abreast of procedural changes.
- Develop and maintain procedures adhering to the internally developed process.
- Develop, update, and maintain the desktop procedures in an online environment.
- Provide Instructional Designers and Trainers updates to ensure instructional material is being developed from the most current desktop procedures.
- Analyze existing and potential content, focusing on reuse and single-sourcing opportunities.
Key Result Areas (KRA):
- Build relationships and support business units with determining what needs to be documented, creating documentation, understanding cross-functional impacts, ensuring accuracy and communicating business task changes.
- Write clear and concise procedures followed by associates at the desktop level. The procedures are used to train new hires and existing associates how to perform the required job tasks and notify them when the job tasks have changed.
- Bachelor degree in Communication, journalism or English, or equivalent related business experience required
- At least one year working experience in technical writing
- Proficient written and verbal skills using the English language
- Mortgage banking or financial services experience helpful
- Ability to deliver high quality documentation, paying attention to detail and the necessary sequence of the steps/procedures.
- Ability to quickly grasp complex technical concepts and translate for users with non-technical backgrounds
- A comfort level working with changing technology and software
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite required, especially Word and Excel
- Technical/business writing and editing skills
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and projects
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to handle strict deadlines and the pressures of working with others on complicated deliverables
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- May be expected to work flexible shifts and weekends to meet aggressive deadlines and coordinate with resources in other time zones
- Must be willing to travel nationally or internationally alone or with a group to meet off-site needs or attend training